Business intelligence relates to gathering, storing, analysing and providing access to data which helps organisations gain insight and thereby make key strategic decisions to support the organisation at various levels.
This can include, among many other domain areas:
- Analysing customer behaviours, buying patterns and sales trends
- Measuring, tracking and predicting sales and financial performance
- Budgeting and financial planning and forecasting
- Tracking the performance of marketing campaigns
- Optimising processes and operational performance
- Improving delivery and supply chain effectiveness
- Web and e-commerce analytics
- Customer relationship management Risk analysis
- Strategic value driver analysis Advanced Analytics
BI as a discipline is made up of several inter related activities, including data mining, online analytical processing, querying, reporting and dash boarding.